Advanced Ceramic Manufacturing & Machining
Plus Precision Polyurethane & Metal Machining
Advantages of Ceramics Vs. Steel
Our ceramic products outperform the hardest steel by 5 to 50 times with regards to longevity and are referred to as ceramic steel. The higher strength and higher hardness of our patented ceramic materials yield superior wear and abrasion resistance as well as superior corrosion resistance.
- Higher strength
- Higher hardness
- Superior wear and abrasion resistance
- Electrical insulator (oxide ceramics)
- Can be sintered using microwave radiation
- In general, ceramic is 2x to 5x more expensive than a comparable steel component. Ceramic machining requires diamond tooling and longer processing time. That constitutes about 80% of the cost.
- Net-shape ceramic manufacturing, however, can lower the cost by almost 80%, Example: ceramic roller for film perforators is $10 vs. chrome plated steel roller is $45.
- For high volume requirements, ceramics can be injection molded. This lowers the cost to the level of stainless steel
- Typically, ceramics outperform steel by 5x to 50x
- In general, steel components are less prone to catastrophic failure vs. ceramic components
- Steel can withstand larger tensile force than ceramic
- Ceramic can withstand larger compressive force than steel
- Under high load, steel against steel is prone to galling – ceramic does not gall
- For specialized applications, steel requires an additional processing step to improve the surface hardness